December 23, 2004

Back to Auckland

So here I am, back in Auckland for Christmas with my exploration of the north island almost complete. From Waitomo I headed up to Cambridge near Hamilton. Couldn't find any of the ususal pubs and all the streets seemed to have moved about, so I had to stay in on a camp site! A picture is below, so you will be able to see that's it's not much like Cambridge back home, the sun was shining for one thing.
From Cambridge I went up to a small place called Hopuhopu where I met up with a guy called Julian, who I met in the Coromandel. He is a maori who works for his tribe, the Tainui. He had given me his business card in the Coromandel and told me to drop by, since I was very interested to learn more about maori culture. Despite being busy trying to get work tied up before the christmas/summer holiday break, he took the time to show me around the tribal administration and the Tainui college, which was extremely impressive. The college is opening next academic year and is for post graduate research into ecological and environmental issues and well as the study of matters relating to indiginous people from all over the world. They are already set up to carry out exchanges with inuit and aborigini (might have spelt that wrong) students. They also have a workshop making huge maori carvings as well as the debating chamber for the Tainui administration committee - for want of a better description. It was a very interesting visit, for which I was exceptionally grateful, especially given that Julian has also offerred to take me to a very important marae - which is where maori conduct most of their local social interaction. Should be very cool.
So now I'm back in St. Heliers and have slept in a proper bed for the first time in about 6 weeks. Ah, heavenly! The preparations for christmas are just about complete over here, but the weather actually ain't too good at the moment, so sitting on the beach might be out for christmas day.
I wish you all a fabulous christmas, I hope you all eat and drink to excess and as a result are very merry (instead of sick). Take care everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the story with them worms then eh? Why are they there, what are they doing, what do they eat, are they magic?

Tainui experience sounds interesting (got any tatoos yet?).

I hear the biking is even better on the south island - get it right over!

Xmas preps in full swing, finished as much work as poss and looking forward to a few guilt free days of maximum slobbery. A & G here at the moment and send Xmas hugs and kizzez.

Hope you have a sunny, boozy, nose blistering time over there in Auckland - and may all your Christmas(s) be wide.

Mizder Zibbz.

ps - Billy Connolly is touring NZ at the moment, so we get to see exactly where you've been every Saturday night.

The Toblerone Twins said...

Hoping to do Christmas brekkie on the beach here, but looking a bit grey today, so fingers crossed! Have a fun Chrimbo and we'll see you soon (somehow, somewhere!) ... Jules x

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas old fruit. If you can't make it down to the beach, then just chill . . . .


mmmppfff