February 14, 2005

Stuff and things

Here I sit in sunny Nelson (there was thunderstorm yesterday though) with not much to tell you. I'm all recovered from my little jaunt, although it may be some time before my feet forgive me for the abuse they took. So since I haven't done much I thought I would give you a quick lesson in Kiwi.

As far as beer goes, there are beers for areas. One of the beers which creates more feeling than others is Speights (pride of the south). In the north island, I heard the phrase "drink Speights, lose your mates" whereas in the south of the south island I was told to "wash my mouth out" for speaking of drinking anything else. I also heard a pub philosopher say "the mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer". Quite liked that.

If you want to be understood, here are a few stock words and phrases you will need:

She'll be right - it'll be ok
Bugger - general dismay or dissapointment
Choice - very good
Tiki tour - wandering around (decided I'm a tiki tourist)
Good on ya - general approval
Dairy - a corner shop
Handle - glass of beer
Pie - staple food, usually meat, available everywhere
Howzitgoin - standard greeting
Wash out - road sign, part of the road has fallen down the hill
Gravel road - raod sign, road ahead is like a bad farm track
and my favourite . . .
Sweet as - seems to means just about anything good

So, that's all for the moment. I'll go away and do something now, so that I've got something to tell you about next time. Have a fun time everyone.

No comments: