February 06, 2005

Up north - down south

After a few days travelling up the west coast I am now back in the north of the lovely south island. The west coast was just a chilled out relaxing place to go. Didn't really do much, except go for walks in the forests, chill on the deserted beaches and watch the Wellington Sevens rugby tournament (2 days) with the locals in a pub.
Now I'm just outside the Abel Tasman national park and tomorrow I'm off tramping again. This time, for those who know the area, I am doing the Abel Tasman coastal track, but then going straight on to the inland track. That makes five days walking with my loaded rucksack on my back, complete with food for five days and my tent! It should be quite hard going given the temperatures and the fact that I've given myself quite a lot of ground to cover everyday, but it'll be a challenge after too much time doing not much.
I hope you like the new photos, and thanks for all the comments and emails I am getting. It's really good to feel like I'm still in touch, especially while I'm all alone in the south island! Keep them coming, even though I won't have internet access until I get back from the tramp.
In case you are wondering, the picture of the bridge shows a bridge which is not only one way, meaning traffic from one direction has to give way to traffic from the other, but it is also shared by the trains, who all the road traffic give way to! It's and odd set up and slightly unnerving, but seems to work. By the way, this is not the only one I have come across.
So anyway, sorry I haven't got lots of exciting news about sharks, bungy jumps or helicopters this time, but I'll see what I can do in the next couple of weeks. Be good one and all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah

toadly whack and wick man. Railroad I guess?

Mostly meat products.

Anonymous said...

What no sherpas - buns of steel man.

Hope you got one of them edible tents.