January 16, 2005

The extreme capital of the world

There is no shortage of daft things to do in Queenstown and it doesn't take long to find out just how many ridiculous things are available. I have now decided which ones I should participate in - more in a couple of minutes.
Sarah Loo and Sally arrived in town yesterday from Wanaka and we continued where I had left off on saturday, which was watching rugby and quaffing a few beers. Over this weekend there was a national seven a side rugby competition in town. Being a charity event, it was free to go and watch, which suited me just fine! The standard of the rugby was high and I even recognised a few names out on the pitch. A great way to pass a couple of days, especially with the added entertainment of somewhat intoxicated crowd members creating extra spectacles. The best ones were the british guy who was trying to get a mexican wave going and the kiwi who gave impromptu "dance" leadership for a rendition of YMCA before the finals.
This morning Sarah and Sally are off on the Shotover Jet Boat ride - high speed stupidity through the local gorges in the river rapids. Then this afternoon I will be doing the one and only original AJ Hackett bungy jump from a very scenic bridge. That is to be my first daft thing in Queenstown.
There is also a trip I am planning to do, but may come back after the main holday season is over. The trip will be my big lavish expense, which all happens in one day. I will ride out on the Shotover jet boat to Skippers Canyon, where I then get transported to the top before a 1 hour single track mountain bike descent back into the canyon. Once I am back at the bottom, I will get picked up by helicopter and flown out over the mountains! Pretty cool trip huh?! I think I'll get the bungy out of the way before I worry about exactly when to do the lavish one.
So what have you all been up to? What is happening out there in the big wide world? Tell me everything, all at once . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, you great gibbony chump, glad to see you're still alive. D and I have been indulging in a few extreme pastimes too: there's been some pretty extreme digging up on the allotment – not for the faint-hearted, that one; extreme duck-roasting on Christmas day – and some of those ducks are REALLY extreme, which makes them very difficult to roast, I can tell you; oh and extreme proposing. D and I are getting married – how exteme is that!

LD

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh... the jealousy is becoming almost unbearable. Please do something mundane/boring soon please.

Helicopter!