January 25, 2005

In Doubt

Well, actually I'm camped at Lake Manapouri at the moment, but tomorrow I am off to Doubtful Sound. Although Milford Sound is the Fiord which is most famous, the people I have met and the locals tell me Doubtful Sound is better, it's just that Milford is more accessible. And so my trip will take me accross Lake Manapouri by boat and then over the most expensive stretch of road in NZ (only accessed by boat and only goes to Doubtful Sound!).Then I will spend the remainder of the day and the night on board a small boat cruising around Doubtful Sound, fishing, drinking beer etc, before heading back on the following day. Should be great, especially since the sky is blue, the temperature is gorgeous and the forecast is for more of the same.
Just so you know, yes I saw penguins, seals, sealions etc and the Catlins coast really is very quiet. Hardly anyone around, petrol stations which only open from 9am to 1pm and don't open at all on Sundays and empty roads. I also went to the southern most point on the South Island, so I can tick that off the list! Anyway, got to go and sit in the sun. Be good one and all . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well that all sounds really lovely.

It's been snowing here, but today is sunny and bright and I'm wearing my aligator skin hunting gallagaskins.