January 30, 2005

Wanaka

After the big Doubtful Sound trip, it seemed like I should get away and stroll in the hills for a bit, so here I am in Wanaka. Scenic? I should coco. It's pretty gorgeous around here, just by the Mt. Aspiring national park, with the lovely Lake Wanaka surrounded by mountains. Many people have told me how much they like Wanaka and I can see why. It's a fantastic place to just chill. I would dearly love to come back here when the snow comes in and the ski/boarding season kicks off . . .
Yesterday, for some unknown reason, it seemed like it would be a good idea to walk up to the peak of Mt. Roy, which is not far from my campsite. The walk is a vertical climb of 1300m (which is 30% higher than Ben Nevis), but the actual track just goes on and on! My legs ache this morning, so it's a day of relaxing coming up. I may have to go to the infamous Cinema Paradiso in town. Apparently it's something of an experience, since there are no seats as such, just bits of furniture and a Morris Minor (which you can sit in to watch the film). You can also order meals and beer and just take it into the cinema with you. Should be a pleasant evening!
I hope everyone is in tip top form, so take good care and I hope you like the new photos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vertical climb. Thats what lifts are for. How was the Minor? And talking of skiing ..... there's snow everywhere here. Hmm where are my skis. Boarders are poofs!!

Dynamobang said...

You know what they say about those on sticks . . .