March 09, 2005

Back packing

So here I am, after nearly five months as an independent traveller I am now a real life backpacker! Andy and Sarah very kindly dropped me off in Twizel this morning before heading off back towards CHCH, so I've pitched up my tent and have various options of moving on from here tomorrow. I reckon that talking someone into giving me a lift down towards Queenstown or Wanaka will be favourite, closely followed by hitching and then taking a bus. Hitching is still a popular way of getting around NZ and I've seen and spoken to plenty of people who are doing it.
The weather at Mt. Cook wasn't exactly wonderful, but we managed a really nice walk yesterday before the rain came in and then in the late afternoon the cloud cleared and we had fabulous views of the big mountain, still covered in snow and looking very impressive. The mountains around Mt. Cook are littered with glaciers and seeing these huge lumps of blue ice filling the high valleys is really quite bizarre.
Not sure what I'm going to do in Twizel yet, but it seems like a nice place. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the rolling mackenzie high country, which is barren but gorgeous.
How are things back in the UK? Has it been snowing anymore or does it feel like spring is on it's way?
I'm off to explore this little town and see what there is to do for a day . . .

No comments: