November 29, 2004

Old style NZ

Now this may seem a but rushed, but I have just typed this entry once and then lost it!
So, from the smells and mud of Rotorua I headed north to Whakatane and Ohope on the coast of the Bay of Plenty. A really nice area with a chilled out feel and sandy beaches lapped by the south pacific surf. None too shabby.
Heading out along the coast, I made for the east cape - the eastern most point in NZ. This is an area mostly ignored by tourists and blissfully free of rented camper vans and such like. I pitched up my tent at a farly basic campsite where you could have a hot shower, but only if you lit the wood burner about 2 hours before you wanted the hot water! The site was right on a pebble beach between two bush covered headlands and the only other people there was a group of about 15 or so from Whakatane who were there to celebrate a 21 birthday. Kiwi hospitality being what it is, I was 'forced' to spend the evening sitting by a campfire on the beach, drinking their beer and having a good time. They were a really cool bunch and very generous with their beer . . .
The rest of the trip around the cape and down the coast was very relaxing. The whole area is ridiculously laid back. The petrol stations, of which there are not many, apparently run out and it takes and age to buy anything in a shop (if you can find one). When I stopped in a village, kids would appear out of nowhere and be amazed to find that I was from the UK. Random people wave at you as you go by, probably glad to just see someone making use of the road. It's a very unspoiled area where you can see falcons hunting right by the side of the road. I hope it doesn't get any busier.
So, now I'm in Gisbourne, which feels a tad run down. It doesn't feel quite as welcoming as most places I've been, but I've only been here for a couple of hours.
Next plan is to do a four day walk around a lake to the south of here. It'll be a few nights staying in huts and just ambling along. I'm off now to check it it out at the local DOC office.
I hope you're all surviving the cold. Take care and I'll be back in touch soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey David Havent spoken to you in a while.
Well what to say glad to here your having a good time very jealous!! I am bogged down with loads of college work at the moment but still managing to enjoy it all the same!! (Amazing huh!?!) Well ill email you to tell you more but very glad its all going good talk soon Rachelxx

Anonymous said...

Been to Ipswich for the weekend. Very similar except cold.
Looks like the punctuation fairy has been at the last comment.

Anonymous said...

Mr Dave - from Jos in Bolivia (hotjoss@hotmail.com)

I will be arriving in Aukland on 10th dec - 1030am ish I think from Tahiti

will you be around in that part of the country? - Any suggestions of somewhere to stay - either scrounging a bed or a B and B or hotel/hostel - still recuperating from seemingly endless bugs over last few weeks and generally feeling really shit - recently had 3 days in hospital here with altitude problems (La Paz is 4000m) and salmonella - now got another gut bug that they are culturing from my poo as we speak - should all be clear with antibiotics by then but probably won´t be up for camping out for a few days.

Will be off to Aus on 17th dec for the wedding- If you are not about any recommendations would be good and we can catch up after wedding/christmas

cheers jos