November 02, 2004

Just a quickie . . .

Internet connections don't come cheap up here in the middle of nowhere. I am at Doubtless Bay on the North East coast, not far from Cape Reinga, the top of NZ. Last night was spent at Haruru Falls, a nice little campsite in what used to be a volcano crater (so I was told in the pub). The night before was spent at a DOC campsite sandwiched between State Highway 1 and a completely deserted and quiet beach. At night I could hear the surf and in the morning I could hear the cars - a bit strange really.
Anyway, tomorrow I am heading up Ninety Mile beach to the cape. It should be a busy day and full of odd experiences. For anyone who is not aware, 90 mile beach is 64 miles long and is a designated highway! When the tide heads out, specially adapted buses blast up the hard sand to the cape and back. There is also the bonus of sand toboggoning (might have spelled that wrong) on some huge dunes. I'll let you know what happens. More photos will be on in a week or so I reckon.
By the way, further to the comment from "the Moores" I have to apologise for being so remiss in not adequately either thanking or praising my hosts in Auckland. They are highly recommended, good company, mine of information, comfy beds and lovely food. Book early and expect prices to rise in the near future . . . .

No comments: